I always make this cake when the rhubarb is in season and it has proved a huge hit in the teashop as well as being my most requested recipe.
125g butter, plus more for greasing the tin
125g caster sugar, plus 5tbsp for the rhubarb
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
125g self-raising flour
725g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm lengths
Icing sugar for dusting
- Beat the butter and 125g caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well, then add the vanilla. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a tbsp of flour.
- Fold in all the flour then add enough milk to give the batter a reluctant dropping consistency.
- Scrape into buttered 22.5cm (9”) spring-form tin.
- Toss the rhubarb with its sugar and spread it over the top.
- Bake for 50mins in preheated oven 190ºC/375ºF/Gas 5. A skewer in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin then carefully remove the ring and base.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.